Friday, May 3, 2019

Most Successful US Submarine in History


I wrote awhile ago about the most successful submarine in history. It was a German U-Boat called U-35 with 224 confirmed ships sunk. This got me thinking... What is the most successful US submarine in history? I did some digging and found the answer, the USS Tang. It has 33 confirmed ships that it sank. Which equals 116,454 tons. I was shocked by these numbers. She had a really short career. 1943 to 1944. She did 5 patrols in the Pacific during WWII. She was sunk in 1944 by one of her own torpedoes. Most torpedoes during WWII used by the US were duds and were worse that useless. I found a few pictures of the USS Tang. The first is of the USS Tang and the second is of the blueprints of the USS Tang after its sinking.  


No comments:

Post a Comment