Wednesday, April 17, 2019

USS Kearsarge... The Only Non State Named Battleship


About a month ago I wrote a couple of articles on battleships (South American Battleships & Last Battleship), while I was researching these ships I found one that I found was interesting. I found the USS Kearsarge. This was the only US battleship to not be named after a state. That is what I found interesting. The ship was named after Mount Kearsarge in New Hampshire and the US Civil War ship, (USS Kearsarge), that defeated the Confederate raider CSS Alabama. The battleship Kearsarge served in both World Wars. She was a training and troop carrying ship in WWI. She was converted into a crane ship in the 1920s and served in WW2 as a crane ship. She is famous for serving the Great White Fleet from 1907-1909 CE. She is most famous for raising the submarine USS Squalus in 1939 CE. She was decommissioned in 1955 and sold for scrap. She had a relatively long career for a ship built in the late 1890s, (1896-1955) and surviving two World Wars. I found three good pictures of the Kearsarge as a battleship and one as a crane ship.




No comments:

Post a Comment